Online Casino Ontario: Short History
Ontario’s gambling laws and regulations differ from those of other provinces and territories. To shed some light, we invite you to look at a brief history of the development of the online casino Ontario sphere.
- The first legal land-based casino in the province opened in 1994.
- In 2010, the local government took a serious interest in Internet gambling. Consequently, the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation was created to oversee provincial gambling.
- Nine years later, in 2019, the province’s total income from Ontario’s online casino industry exceeded 8 million in local currency.
- On August 27th, 2021, the federal government of Canada approved Bill C-218. This law allows local gamblers to bet online on selected events.
- In 2022, on April 4th, each locally licensed online casino Ontario officially got legal status. In addition to AGCO, many virtual casinos and sportsbooks have received permission from iGaming Ontario.
Licensed Ontario Casinos vs Offshore Sites
As you know, Canadian players can gamble on sites licensed by government agencies and independent offshore organizations and commissions. How they differ, look below:
|Online Casino Ontario
|• Local authorities, including the AGCO, regulate all licensed gambling sites in the province. In addition, OLG controls a number of gambling activities and checks local sites.
• Online casino Ontario licensed sites are subject to the laws of Canada and operate within the limits of local law.
|• Legal entities and companies registered abroad regulate offshore virtual casinos. Therefore, local authorities do not regulate them. However, to operate legally, in addition to offshore jurisdictions, they must obtain a permit to operate in the province from AGCO or iGaming Ontario.
• Offshore online operators are registered outside the country. Therefore, local law does not regulate them.
Taxation of Players in the Province
Governments in many countries choose to regulate the gambling market to keep local punters safe and get tax revenue from the industry. To this end, the Government of Ontario has created a special body.
By issuing licenses to local online operators, iGaming Ontario signs a two-way contract. However, according to one of the clauses, licensed gambling sites must pay an activity tax. This is usually 20% of the brand’s total casino income.
As for the players, there is good news for them: neither in the province nor in Canada are the winnings taxed. However, some exceptions include professional gamblers.
Payment Providers at Online Casino Ontario
When playing in virtual casinos, each punter asks themselves how to quickly and conveniently make a deposit and withdraw funds to their account. Most gambling sites licensed by iGaming after April 4th have a pretty good track record in the business. For this reason, they work with trusted and reliable payment providers. To deposit or withdraw winnings, local players can use:
Visa and MasterCard
Skrill and Neteller